Continue to follow the Trans Pennine Trail / NCN62, crossing over Wooley Bridge Road and follow the footpath back towards the River Etherow.
The Waterside Branch Line was built by the Manchester. Sheffield, and Lincolnshire Railway to serve the Waterside and Bridge mills of the well-known Sidebottom family and railway bridge used to span the main road at Wooley Bridge, the line closed in 1964 and the bridge dismantled in 1966.
Melandra Roman Fort whose footprint can be seen in the grass, was built around 75 AD as part of a chain of military outposts providing security across the Peak District. A railway goods branch line of the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway used to follow what is now the footpath to Wooley Lane, it opened in 1879 and viaduct span the area near Melandra Castle.