From Melandra Castle Road car park walk a quarter of the way around the ruins and head towards a bollard in the trees, follow the path through the trees and onto the NCN62 turning left heading north-west, continue on the NCN62 over Melandra Road and over the footbridge, heading north-east towards Brookfield and Wooley Lane.
Melandra Roman Fort whose footprint can be seen in the grass, was built around 75 AD as part of a chain of military outposts providing security across the Peak District. A railway goods branch line of the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway used to follow what is now the footpath to Wooley Lane, it opened in 1879 and viaduct span the area near Melandra Castle.
Broadbottom Bridge over the River Etherow was built in 1683 for transporting goods on pack horses, like salt from Cheshire, and wool from the Derbyshire farms. Broadbotton railway viaduct opened in 1842, originally of wooden construction supported by stone piers, the timber was replaced with wrought iron girders only 20 years later, they're now riveted steel girders. Best Mill occupied a spot by the river and Bankwood Print Works a bit further up the river.