Don’t cross over the road bridge but walk on the smaller road alongside the River Etherow, turning right just before the new house at the footpath sign, then travel east along the path and then track towards Glossop Road, turn left onto Glossop Road and right following the Trans Pennine Trail sign and then left onto Melandra Castle Road. Follow the road all the way round to the remains of the Melandra Roman Fort settlement.
Broadbottom Bridge over the River Etherow was built in 1683 for transporting goods on pack horses, like salt from Cheshire, and wool from the Derbyshire farms. Broadbotton railway viaduct opened in 1842, originally of wooden construction supported by stone piers, the timber was replaced with wrought iron girders only 20 years later, they're now riveted steel girders. Best Mill occupied a spot by the river and Bankwood Print Works a bit further up the river.
Gamesley Woodlands used to be a railway goods sidings and Dinting Goods Station occupied the spot where the line branched off to Waterside Mill. Under the bridge at Glossop Road there also used to be Mottram Yard Signal Box and Staff Halt, parts of the wood platform might still be hidden in the trees. The step up to the road are clearly visible but unsafe.